Wednesday 23 July 2014

Monday, July 21





Allison and Chris announced their engagement, officially,  today!  I am so happy and so glad to have shared in the excitement of their news, before our Road Rave adventure.  

Jonathan and I stayed close to home, reserving our energy for the next day’s road travel.    Jonathan cleaned Skylark and repaired the scrape on its’ step with some anti-rust paint. The step came into contact with Bourne Bridge.  

Aunt Margaret and I browsed in a consignment shop, that specialized in vintage clothing, purses, shoes, and jewellery. All my thrifters, out there, you were with me, in heart, especially “my” Allison!                                                                                      





Then, Aunt Margaret and I browsed the Christmas Tree Shop. It would not have been a trip to the Cape if we missed the CT Shop!  The retail chain started at the Cape in Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts  in 1970.






                                                                                           Jonathan communed with the beach during my browsing trip. Then, together, we went for a walk along the beach.  I showed JD the grist mill I visited during an earlier trip on my own to the Cape. It is a smaller mill, built 3 years earlier than Chatham’s mill. 
 There is a path from the mill to the water. Two “private” signs frame each end of the beach where I stood. Near one sign, some Canadian geese and one white heron fished along the water’s edge.  Near the opposite sign, a man fished from rocks jutting out into the water.

On our return, we sipped a Californian Chardonnay,  “SeaGlass”,  and sampled some appetizers that Aunt Margaret prepared.  After a dinner of homemade pizza and ribs, I chatted with my cousin Katie, who I hope to visit on my return trip.  Then, Aunt Margaret and I walked to the water-- my last glimpse of the Atlantic Ocean before we travel inland!  Aunt Margaret pointed out the cottages where my Great Aunt Ada and my Great Uncle Jimmie holidayed in the 1950’s. A holiday path to the Cape forged long ago then followed by Chuck and his parents, Aunt Margaret and Uncle Chuck and their kids, my mom, my brother and me, and now,  JD and me.



Tuesday, July 22
We left at 8:15 from Cape Cod and arrived in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania at 6:45, after 4 stops: 3 for gas and 1 for groceries. We drove through 6 states: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania. Before Road Rave, JD printed road directions from Google Maps.  Garmin wanted to take us through the Bronx and Newark. Some of the Google steps required interpretation, for example, “Take Exit 18 on the left towards US 1A”. In fact, it should have stated “At Exit 18, stay on the left...” We did exit off the ramp, with a dawning realization of our error, as a Rhode Island town formed around us, with no interstate signs! Much smoother motoring after that learning curve.                                     We entered Pennsylvania at 2:45. At the toll booth just before the welcome sign, the toll guy greeted us with “I like that”, pointing to our Skylark, “it’s wind resistant.”  During the last hour of the day's driving, Garmin guided us to our campsite . 

A KOA staffer greeted us upon arrival at KOA Gettysburg.  He also complimented Skylark. They reserved a spot for us on Site #1 right next to the campground entrance, the only site left that offered 50 amps. JD explained we only needed 30 amps, so they found us a site further in the campground. The staffer helped us back up our Skylark into the site, then gave us a guided tour of our amenities. 

Later, the same staffer helped us with our water hose that was not threading properly to the tap. Somewhere, in transit, we lost a washer. He gave us two, one for current use, another for back up. After a long day of driving, his kindness was especially welcome.  We righted our trailer both outside and inside, then devoured a dish of mac n cheese that Aunt Margaret prepared and packaged for our trip.  

Wednesday, July 23 ROAD RAVE RECOVERY DAY
Today, we we took time to enjoy our campsite.  The experience is similar to our Treehouse, as we are surrounded by trees. At its’ peak, the temperature was 33 C, the shade has been welcome. 


JD and I caught up with the virtual world. The wifi reception is weak at our campsite, and much stronger near the entrance. That would have been one plus to camping at Site #1! 
This farmer  travels daily through the campsite to sell his wares.

We found out about the area to plan some excursions during our time here and we  hiked through the woods. 



Home is where you park the Skylark. 

8 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures. I am enjoying the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, George! Appreciate your note ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures and blog! I feel like I am right there with you! So I'm living vicariously through you right now. So cool that the farmer peddles his wares around the campground! I look forward to the next post! Enjoy & Stay Safe! Hugs! Richelle xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome it reminds me of my trips!! Congrat Chris and Allison!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Manu and Richelle! Richelle, I thought that was interesting about the farmer, also. I wonder if I will see that at other campgrounds?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you both safe travels - keep posting and stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Shawn! Thursday, I sent a postcard to Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I keep thinking about how helpful that KOA staffer was. It was perfect timing to have him there to assist you.

    ReplyDelete